My girls

My girls
The best parts of my Very Grateful Life.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I heart Nationwide Children's Hospital

Today, Ella and I went to Children's Hospital to get her blood levels checked.

I'll post photos later, but have to say that she wore her pink 'princess dress' (which features a mid-calf-length tulle skirt) and her new, fuschia 'mary jane' rain boots. Oh, she looked so, so cute.

I held her little hand as we walked out of the parking garage elevator and down the ramp into the hospital. I knew she looked cute when we walked out of the house in the morning, but when I saw her reflection in the sliding glass doors, and saw her cute little hand clasping mine, I was struck by the feeling that she looked even cuter than I originally thought, earlier that morning!

Which brings me to my next point. I heart Children's Hospital. Every single staff member, from the volunteer greeters to the teenagers who volunteer to play with the children who wait in the Oncology/Hematology Clinic waiting room, to the nurses who take Ella's blood, to our beloved Dr. Ruymann.

They're all so gentle and you can see the kindness in their eyes.

They make miracles happen every day, and improve the lives of so many children and families. But they also see so much pain and sadness and tragedy and loss. I'm humbled -- there's really no other word to use -- at their ability to dedicate their lives, day in and day out, to helping beautiful, sweet, sick children. I don't think I'm a strong enough person to see the tragedy every day. Yet, they smile right through it. Every day.

Ella has come to look forward to her visits to the hospital. The Oncology/Hematology Clinic waiting room is filled with toys and she loves it. She plays with the pirate ship and the play house and dozens of other toys, and is always a little disappointed to leave.

She knows the drill. Happpily jumps on the scale, walks over to the wall to get measured. She cries when they take her blood, but only for a few moments. Her tears immediately fade when they offer her a Dora band-aid and princess sticker.

Dr. Ruymann made my day when he told me that her blood counts continue to improve; and that he doesn't need to see us for 6 months. He says she's experienced a 'spontaneous recovery.' He wasn't sure exactly what to attribute it to. I choose to attribute it to prayer. He didn't disagree. "Praise the Lord," he said. Sincerely.

So Ella and I happily trudged back out of the hospital. I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt, even through my elation....thinking about how very fortunate we are to get to leave this sweet, but still-scary place.

On the way out, we walked past a beautiful little 4-year-old boy sitting in a plastic wagon, filled with toys and books. His mom knew he'd be here for a long time again and came prepared to eneterain him for hours. He had a sad look on his tanned little face as I waved goodbye.

We saw many beautiful children like that little boy, with serious illnesses, all being treated by the amazing people at Children's Hospital.

I am grateful that Ella is well again. Grateful for her spontaneous recovery. Grateful for the kind and generous people at Nationwide Children's Hosptial. Grateful to have stopped at McDonald's on our way home, and to have had the blessing of watching kate and Ella eat chicken mcnuggets and frenchie fries as they swung their feet from their chairs at the kitchen table.

And I will think about and pray for the children and families I met at Nationwide Children's Hospital....every day, God willing. I heat the people at Nationwide Children's Hospital, and I pray that God will bless them and continue to help them love and serve and save thousands of children each and every year.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that Ella Bella is better! I now have to stop reading your posts until my hormones have recovered. I love you! And can't wait to see you Saturday at Willow's party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love YOU Cathy and I was so happy to see you at Willow's. I can't wait to see you soon and to meet Baby #2!

    ReplyDelete