My girls

My girls
The best parts of my Very Grateful Life.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Gamma's house

So back when I started this blog, I believe I gave credit where credit was due. It's www.kellehampton.com that inspired me to create a blog.

And Kelle today wrote about her Grandma, who passed away several years ago, because today is her birthday.

Made me want to write again about my mom and the amazing Grandma she is to Ella and Kate. I'm typing this post from my mom's basement...Kate and Ella finally asleep at 11 p.m., after playing with Grandma for 5 hours straight, since the moment we pulled in the driveway.

As usual, Grandma had a way-too-generous pile of gifts ready for them. Matching pink cotton t-shirts with gray-and-pink striped leggins. Pink cowboy boots for the fall. New Dora jammies and dolly blankies. And a child-sized plastic pink vanity, complete with working hair dryer and make up accessories, which Ella played with for at least 3 hours.

I'm so blessed that so many family members and friends love our girls. But my mom really is the only one who I can call, at any time of day, just to tell her something hilarious, or adorable, or brilliant, that one of the girls has said or done.

Like when I called her at work a few days ago to tell her that, after informing me that I had to 'save' her and Kate from the "cocodiles" that were on the carpet, Ella realized she was hungry and asked me to get her a snack. "What about the crocodiles? I replied. Seeing our cat, Macie, on the coffee table, she said "Oh. It's OK mommy. Macie killed them with her tail."

I call my mom to recite these mini stories, at least 15 times a week. She never tires of them and will answer the call in the middle of anything. At work. At dinner with friends. While driving. In the check-out line in the grocery store.

And she loves each story. But she loves seeing and experiencing the girls on her own, so much more.

I know that when they're mom's like I am now, Ella and Kate will look back with such full hearts at their Grandma. I'm so grateful to God that they can experience her very special, all-encompassing brand of love. Her patience. Her adoration. I love that they'll know the joy of being the source of another person's greatest joy.

And I'm so grateful to get to see, and be part, of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment