My girls

My girls
The best parts of my Very Grateful Life.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grocery Store Fun

I generally dislike going to the grocery store. It basically usually reminds me that I'm not a very good cook. And there are usually about 1,000 other things I'd rather do.

Until last week, when we ran out of milk and a few other basics. Chris is usually the one who goes to the grocery store. But this time, after work, I asked Ella..."You wanna go to the grocery store with Mommy? We gotta get milk for Kate-Kate." "You wanngo to da gwow-swee stowa? OK mommy!" she exclaimed.

When I got her out of the car and into the grocery store, I put her in one of those grocery carts with a plastic 'Fred Flintstone' style car in the front. She squealed with excitement. "Beep beep! Beep beep! We comin', Kate Kate! We gon' get milk for yooooou!" she exclaimed, as if she was driving a car, drive-thru style, through the entire grocery store, with the express mission of getting milk for her Kate-Kate.

She continued to make this loud, joyful, purposeful proclomation all the way through the grocery store, as I picked up a few other odds and ends we were missing. As we waited at the deli counter, she peeked her head out of the car to tell another little girl, who was wearing a tutu, "Hey, my like yo' outfit!"

I love that she still says "my" for "I" but yet still says the word "outfit."

It wasn't until I got halfway throught he store that I realized that in all the excitement of seeing Ella Bella make my fellow shoppers laugh, I lost my debit card in the store. So I had to take my little driver out of the car, to my real car in the parking lot, to get a different card. Back into the store to purchase the groceries, then back to my real car where it took at least 10 minutes to convince Ella to get out of her grocery car and into mine.

The pictures of this so-fun, every-day-moment memory are only in my mind. But I'm pretty sure I'll forever remember looking down onto my little pig-tailed Ella Bella, seeing her still-pudgy hands 'beep beep' the horn and steer her grocery car as she proudly exclaimed, for all of Worthington to hear, that she would not let her baby sister down...she was getting milk for her Kate-Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment